Primary sources: Images
Collections of reproduced still images originally created in various formats.
This selective list includes some general bibliographies, gateways, and indexes along with some of the more extensive primary source collections available at Lafayette College. For more subject-specific resources or individual titles, consult the library's annotated list of research tools by subject, and follow suggestions for library catalog searches below.
- Ad*Access Collection
- Coverage: 1911-1955
Collection of advertisements printed in U.S. and Canadian newspapers and magazines. Focus is on radio, television, transportation, beauty and hygiene, and World War II.
- ARTStor Collection
- Searchable image collection covering the visual arts, including architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, and decorative arts.
- College Archives Historical Photograph Collection Collection
- Coverage: 1858-present
Photographs documenting the history of Lafayette College.
- Design Annual Collection
- Location: Skillman 741.6 G766
International annual of advertising and editorial graphics.
- Emergence of Advertising in America Collection
- Coverage: 1850-1920
Collection of print advertisements from the Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library at Duke University.
- HarpWeek Full-Text
- Coverage: 1857-1912
Full text of Harper's Weekly with extensive indexing of articles, illustrations, and advertisements.
- Illustration Index Index
- Location: Skillman Ref N7525
Multi-volume index to illustrations appearing in several popular periodicals and some books.
- Research tools by subject: Images Gateway
- Selective list of resources for locating images.
- Research tools by subject: History Gateway
- Selective list of online history resources evaluated by Lafayette's reference librarians. Includes many sites with substantial collections of digitized images.
Use the table below to develop search strings for locating primary source bibliographies and collections in library catalogs.
|Searching for . . .||Enter this phrase||+||modifier(s)
|general topics||pictorial works||and||[artist name]
social life and customs
|advertising art||commercial art||and||catalogs
|photographs||photography artistic||and||[artist name]
- pictorial works and (social life and customs) and new york
- painting and dutch and exhibitions