RefWorks - creating a new individual account
To create a new RefWorks account:
- Access RefWorks using this link.
(The link will open in new window or tab so you can easily refer back to these instructions.)
- Provide your Network ID and password at the ITS authentication screen.
- Once you're in RefWorks, enter your name and email address in the appropriate input boxes.
- Select your user type and area of focus.
- Click the Create Account button.
Clicking the button will create your RefWorks account and tie it to your Lafayette Network ID and password.
When accessing Refworks in the future, do not use the RefWorks User Login that asks for "Log-in Name" and "Password." Instead, use one of the access methods described below.
Accessing your RefWorks account
Lafayette uses an identity management application called "Shibboleth" to control access to RefWorks accounts. When you access RefWorks you will log in via a Shibboleth server managed by ITS. There are several different paths to using Shibboleth to access RefWorks:
From the Library home page...
Choose "Research Tools," select the letter R under "Major Research Tools A to Z," and click RefWorks. On the resulting page, use the link that says "Connect to RefWorks."
From a browser bookmark...
To create a bookmark/favorite:
- Choose "Research Tools" from the Library home page, select the letter R under "Major Research Tools A to Z," and click RefWorks.
- On the resulting page, use the link that says "Connect to RefWorks."
- From the resulting pop-up menu, choose "Bookmark this Link" (Firefox) or "Add to Favorites" (IE) or whatever option your browser presents for creating a bookmark.
Note: simply bookmarking the ITS authentication page will not work; you need to bookmark the link to the authentication page.
From a database or WebBridge...
When exporting to RefWorks from a database or WebBridge, look for the link on the RefWorks login screen that says "Login through your institution (Shibboleth users)". Click this link and choose Lafayette from the "Institution" list. Once Lafayette has been chosen, clicking the "Login" button will produce the ITS authentication page.